Heddington parish adjoins that of Calne Without and is approx three miles south of Calne. The parish boundary on the north side follows the Roman road from London to Bath and along the south side it follows, at least in part, the old London to Bath coach road which split from the London to Bristol coach road at Beckhampton, in use until the 18th century. The west end of the village was part of Chippenham forest until 1330 and was part of the large royal Calne estate until about the time of the Norman invasion in 1066. In the middle ages the village had a church, a rectory house and two larger farmsteads and several smaller ones within the parish boundaries. Today it is host to the Heddington Stockley Steam Fair annually.
St Andrew's church is first mentioned in 1130 when it was given to Farliegh priory. The advowson belonged to the priory then until 1536 when it passed to the Crown on the dissolution of the priory. The church was rebuilt in the 13th sentury and the double chamfered arches and circular piers of the south arcade were added. The north aisle, which has an arcade with octagonal piers was added in the 14th century and the tower and porch were added in the 15th century. The church was dedicated to St Andrew in 1491. The church was greatly altered in the 17th century adding bigger windows and altering and enlarging the chancel arch. The church had much silverware although some was confiscated in 1553 but a burglary in 1973 meant that silverware dating back to the early 1700's was lost. Futher silverware was sold in 1976 to pay for the re-roofing in that year. There are six bells hanging in the tower and the earliest dates back to 1553. The five there at the time were re-hung in 1939 and the sixth was added in 1953.
Copyright © 2019 · All Rights Reserved ·
Site Designed and Maintained by Manor Cottage Studios