Compton Bassett

Second World War

A tribute to five men of Compton Bassett who fell during The Second World War

The inscription on the memorial reads:

Not with earthly eyes or fleshly ear
But lifted high above mortality
We see at last the eternal hills
And hear the sighing of the universal sea
And kneeling breathed in that holy place
We know immortal beauty face to face

 

Capt. C. Diccon Earle RHA

Pte. Robert C. Smith The Buffs

Flt. Lt. Hugh H. Fielding-Johnson DFC RAF

Capt. Tim C. Lindsay-Peto MC Scots Guards

Able Seaman Stanley J. Lewis RN

The memorial was planned and mostly paid for by Capt Fielding Johnson who lived at Manor Farm and Capt Guy Benson who lived at Compton Bassett House. Capt Fielding Johnson had lost both his only son and his step-son in World War II. The verse on the memorial was composed by him. The memorial stands on the site of the old village hall and is likely to have been built by Messrs Blackfords of Calne, as Capt Fielding Johnson habitually used that firm for building work. The firm employed their own architect, Peter White. The service of dedication took place on Sunday 12th November 1950 and was conducted by Rev Vernon Thomas.

Compton Bassett War Memorial Dedication



Copyright © 2017 · All Rights Reserved ·

Site Designed and Maintained by Manor Cottage Studios